This Full moon in July is called Guru Purnima and in the Hindu faith it is considered an auspicious day of honoring the guru – or great sage and teacher. Many of you know I consider Derek O’Neil a great sage and teacher of mine. He will be in Boston on Nov. 9 and I encourage anyone interested to come. It’s a lot cheaper then getting all the way to Ireland and it will be a wonderful day!
I have had many teachers in my life. My first and perhaps most deeply felt one was my mom. For many of us, this is true. Wether we feel our relationship with her was wonderful, horrible or somewhere in between, this initial relationship is one of our greatest teachers.
Next comes Dad. I have been reflecting recently on some of my favorite (and humorous) things I have learned from my Dad. Here are the top 10 (according to me)
10. Ritz crackers and cheese can be a meal
9. Really, it’s not that windy, we can make it to the next port
8. Fixing stuff, no matter how broken, is much preferred to buying something new
7. Kids are far more resilient than adults think
6. Laughing at yourself, life, and everything else is a really good idea
5. Music is awesome and you should play it loudly in your house all the time and go see it live
4. Movies are also amazing and you should seek out independent and interesting films. They feed you.
3. Even when you feel you are at your worst, you are still probably better than most
2. 95% of life is showing up
1. Keep one hand for yourself and one hand for the boat
Thank you to all my teachers, especially my Dad. You can learn more about him at HIS BLOG